Memo from Gary Ward, Vice Chancellor for Operations & Student Affairs
Through a multi-phase process, MU will work with deans, department heads and the faculty-led Campus Space Utilization Committee and Campus Facilities Planning Committee to remove 750,000 gross square feet of building space from the campus by 2023-24. This strategy advances MU’s goal of bringing total building space in line with the operations budget and will help the university provide better quality, mission-driven spaces that support the best learning environments.
Current Phase 1 Status:
The MU Space Reduction Plan was initiated in 2017. Please see Quarterly Updates 1 and 2 for previous initiatives.
The following milestones have been achieved:
- Planning is complete for Phase 1 space reduction. Phase 1 identifies sixteen projects,
including the following:
- Mizzou North: planned
divestment to an outside entity. Uses
will be relocated as follows:
- MU Museums will move to the Student Success Center.
- The School of Health Professions (SHP) Psychology labs and clinics will move in phases to Clark Hall.
- SHP clinics and research will move to Lewis Hall.
- SHP radiography space will move to Lewis/Clark halls.
- OSPA and TAO will move to Jesse Hall.
- Nursing offices and labs will move to Sinclair Nursing School.
- Student Experience Center: a core group of student services spaces has been identified to be relocated to one central area within Ellis Library.
- Student Success Center: relocation from its building on Lowry Mall to Ellis Library.
- Mizzou North: planned divestment to an outside entity. Uses will be relocated as follows:
- Design or construction is underway for the following projects:
- Human Resources: relocation from Parking Structure 7 to Jesse Hall basement.
- Law Enforcement Training Institute will move to ARC space.
- Project(s) completed:
- The Confucius Institute has moved to the Heinkel building.
- Research Park Development Building (RPDB) demolition.
Current Phase 2 Status:
The following milestones have since been achieved:
- Planning is underway for the following projects:
- Loeb Hall: planned demolition
- Parker Hall: planned demolition.
- Noyes Hall: planned demolition.
- Old Student Health: planned demolition.
- Columbia Professional Building: planned demolition.
- London Hall: planned demolition.
- Relocation is planned or in progress for the following projects:
- Loeb Hall occupants will move to the new School of Music Building once construction is complete (Nov/Dec 2019).
- College of Education occupants of Noyes Hall are currently moving into Hill Hall and Townsend Hall.
- Old Student Health Building occupants will be relocated to other Engineering spaces.
- Occupants of London Hall are currently moving into Hill Hall and Townsend Hall.
- Design or construction is underway for the following project:
- Parking and Transportation: relocation from Turner Avenue Parking Garage to General Services Building.
Phase 3 planning:
Concurrent with the Phase 1 and Phase 2 work, MU’s Campus Space Utilization Committee and Campus Facilities Planning Committee is engaged in the next phase of space reduction opportunities. This pre-phase work includes ongoing conversations with deans and department heads to consider demolition and divestment opportunities and to identify and assess potential receiving spaces for impacted departments and uses. Current assessment includes McKee Gym, Neff Addition and Waters Hall.
Swing space process:
As planning moves forward through its phases, deans and department heads will meet with Space Planning & Management to identify any needed swing space, and coordinate length of need, intra-departmental proximity, etc. If space is not available on campus, SP&M will help departments identify off-campus leasing opportunities.
- Relocations have created a more positive
operational culture as they relate to space
- The Cashiers workspace in Jesse Hall has been modernized and combined with Accounting to improve collaboration, natural light and flexibility. This new accommodation has reduced the overall Cashier’s footprint by 55%.
- 36,379 sf of space has been divested in Phase 1 thus far by repurposing Allton and Green buildings.
- 26,060 sf of space (Fine Arts Annex & Research Park Development Building) has been demolished in Phase 1 thus far.