- Division Chair for Global English Language Arts
Karen Scales is the Division Chair for Global English Language Arts at Mizzou Academy. She graduated from the University of Missouri in 1994 and has been an online and blended educator with Mizzou ever since. She is the proud mother of one son and currently lives and works in St. Charles, Missouri.
Ms. Scales leads AP English Literature and Composition, AP English Language and Composition, 10th Grade English, Information Literacy, and Creative Writing.
Currently, Ms Scales is engaged in a complete rewrite of AP English Literature and Composition and working on the development of our Mizzou Academy Grammar Lab. She is also an active member of our sustainability committee and a co-author on our inaugural position paper series.
Ms. Scales currently is in her 27th year of teaching and holds a lifetime certification in secondary English education. She is a passionate advocate for remote learners and differentiation in the online learning space.
Degrees and Certifications:
- BS.Ed. University of Missouri
- Missouri Career Teaching Certificate: English/Language Arts (9-12)
- College Board Certificate: Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition
Areas of Expertise
- Curriculum development and alignment
- Online and blended teaching strategies
- Student writing strategies and support
- Team-building and collaboration