Mizzou Academy values fair testing and assessment to determine that students master essential course concepts and skills. At Mizzou Academy, most of our courses for grades 8-12 require proctored exams. During a proctored exam, tests are supervised by an impartial individual (a proctor) to help ensure that all exams maintain academic integrity.
Materials – Our exams all allow a personal whiteboard/dry erase board and a marker for notes. (See example here.) Students will need to wipe their board clean in front of the proctor after they have completed their exam. Scrap paper and calculators are only allowed on exams that specifically state these materials are permissible.
Students can choose from the following proctoring options, all of which are processed on a per-exam basis:
- Mizzou Academy Proctoring Services (preferred option): Once the exam is unlocked in Canvas, submit information via our Proctoring Services Request Form.
- Please schedule with us as soon as possible after your exam is unlocked.
- Requests are processed in order of receipt. Students will receive an email appointment confirmation with their proctor’s Zoom meeting URL and payment information.
- Appointments can be cancelled or rescheduled at least 1 business day prior without financial penalty.
- Missed appointments are not eligible for a credit or refund.
- External Proctor Services: Students can also find a proctor in their local area and submit information through our External Proctor Request form.
- Please review the Registering a Proctor tab below for eligibility information.
- Students MUST verify that the proctor is willing to monitor the exam BEFORE the student requests said proctor.
- New proctors must be verified before exam passwords are released to them.
- Please allow 7-10 days for processing new proctor information.
If students are unable to arrange for a test proctor under the conditions given above, contact us at (573) 884-3974 or email@example.com for help.
Note: Courses for students in grades K-7 do not have proctored exams.
May I change my proctor?
- If you would like to change your proctor, please contact Mizzou Academy. Passwords for exams are sent directly to your proctor. If you change your proctor, the previous password will become invalid and the new approved proctor will receive a replacement exam password.
How do I register a new proctor?
Students who do not choose proctoring at the Mizzou Academy Offices need to request an alternative proctor arrangement. Request approval of proctors by completing the External Proctor Request form. Students MUST verify with the proctor that they are willing to proctor the exam BEFORE submitting the Proctor Verification Form.
New proctors must be verified before we release exam passwords; please allow 7-10 days for processing new proctor information.
Typically Eligible Proctor Candidates
For students who indicated an affiliate on their course Registration, as long as there is no familial relation, the following are suggested candidates:
- Academic or guidance counselors
- Superintendents or school administrators
- School teachers
- School librarians
- Athletic coaches
For students who do have a current working relationship with a local school and are not able to make arrangements with one of the above, the following are suggested candidates:
- professional librarians
- embassy education offices
- military base or station education offices
- testing center administrators
- Missouri Extension offices
- college or university testing center administrator
- professional, certified tutors
- relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, or employers of the student
- military recruiters
- assistant coaches or athletic recruiters
- unaccredited personal tutors
- anyone with a relationship to the student that may result in a conflict of interest in proctoring an exam
Required Information and Eligibility
The student will need the following information for the Proctor Verification Form:
- Name of institution
- Name of proctor
- Title of proctor
- Professional emaile-mail of proctor
- Phone for proctor
Potential proctors should ensure they meet the requirements above, and:
- provide appropriately configured technology
- be at least 21 years of age
- be able to proctor on-site at an educational facility
- provide a professionally affiliated email address (personal emails not accepted: i.e. Hotmail, Gmail, etc.)
What happens during the exam?
- Students must bring their photo ID to the testing site. It must be in English and either be government-issued or issued by the affiliation listed on the student’s Tiger Portal.
- After verifying the student’s ID, the proctor will unlock the exam using the password, review the exam instructions with the student, and monitor the student and computer screen while the student is taking the exam.
- Proctors will also read exam instructions regarding approved testing aids and resources prior to giving exams.
What rules and requirements are in place during the exam?
- Proctors should maintain a full view of the monitor to ensure that only the exam is accessed by the student. Proctors are responsible for appropriately documenting and reporting cases of incomplete testing and other incidents, including questions regarding possible breaches of academic integrity.
- Students must follow rules regarding academic integrity:
- Students are not permitted access to mobile phones, tablets, or other personal electronic devices during the exam, unless they are allowed per exam instructions.
- Further, students may not take the exam with unauthorized books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specifically stated on the exam instructions in the proctor letter.
- Access to the online course lessons and search engines such as Google, etc., is NOT permitted. Visiting unauthorized web sites at any time during the testing period is considered cheating and may result in failure of the course.
- Receiving assistance from any person during an exam is considered cheating and should be reported to the Principal of Mizzou Academy.
All such breaches in exam security should be reported to Mizzou Academy.
- Students may not leave the testing site with any notes taken during the completion of the exam.
- Documented IEP and 504 testing accommodations will apply to Mizzou Academy exams; however, Mizzou Academy must be notified of special accommodations before the exam request is received or your proctor may not allow you to proceed with the exam.
- The student must remain under the supervision of the proctor for the entire duration of the exam. If the student elects to have a parent, friend, or chaperone present along with the proctor, they may do so as long as the student does not interact with that person during the exam.
- Proctors are NOT ALLOWED to give out exam passwords or copies of the exam to anyone.
FAQ for Proctors
What do I need to know as a proctor?
- Maintaining the academic integrity for exams taken by Mizzou Academy students is crucial. Thank you for being a key part of that assurance.
- Approved proctors should check their email for information for exams they have agreed to proctor. All individuals who agree to proctor should review the policies to administer exams.
- It is the student’s responsibility to make testing arrangements.
- For full information please see our Information for Proctors page.
- If you have further questions please contact us.