Transforming Natural Sciences at Mizzou
Get to Know THRIVE
We are working to disrupt current STEM practices, attitudes, and cultural barriers creating an inclusive environment in which students can THRIVE. Together we can create STEM cultures that continue to challenge the status quo. The cultural shifts we are experiencing create environments that become a place:
- To feel welcomed
- To feel fully included
- To feel empowered
The more we can help our STEM communities create this cultural shift, the more our students, teachers, and staff will THRIVE.
Finding the right opportunity on campus to THRIVE can be an interesting search. We want to help make that a little bit easier – THRIVE is for everyone.
- For Students: Foster new leadership skills while helping to create positive inclusive STEM cultures right where you work, study, and play
- For Faculty: Let’s continue to challenge the status quo and further STEM inclusivity by extending our knowledge and taking new practices back to our students
- For Staff: Inclusive leadership development and policy change could advance all you do, so why not be at the heart of the shift MU is working to create
- For National Teams: Don’t let distance stop you from reaching out. Near or far, there is an opportunity to be involved in THRIVE’s national effort
Reach out to learn more! email@example.com
Khajeloo, M., Siegel, M.A., Bae, Y., Morton, T., Nilon, C., Schul, J., Ngai, C., Du, A. (2021, April). The Power of Faculty Learning Communities on the development of Inclusive Teaching in STEM Learning Environments. Paper accepted at the annual meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Orlando, FL.
Khajeloo, M., Taylor, J., Morton, T.R., Siegel, M.A., Schul, J., Nilon, C. (2020, March). New Majority Students’ Challenges in STEM Education and their Coping Strategies to Thrive. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Portland, OR.
Enhance the inclusive capacity of instructors and advisors through:
- Team Mentoring with both inclusion and pedagogy experts
- Reflective Data and Video Interventions
- A resource library for inclusive teaching and mentoring
- Faculty Learning Communities
Enhance the inclusive learning environment of new majority undergraduates through:
- Developing intergenerational Peer Mentoring Networks
- Establishing Communities of Practice to enhance belonging and growth
- Implementing Leadership Development on the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Synergizing with existing academic and extracurricular programming
Enhance the inclusive culture of new majority undergraduates through:
- Team mentoring with both inclusion and pedagogy experts
- Developing a data repository and intervention training to enhance access to and understanding of student progress