ASIS&T Student Group
American Society for Information Science and Technology Student Group (ASIS&T)
The American Society for Information Science & Technology is an organization devoted to research. The Student Chapter at the University of Missouri is a student organization meant to forge new paths in Information Science research at MU through collaborations among individuals in the School of Information Science & Learning Technologies. Like our national organization, we seek “to stimulate participation and interaction among its members by affording them an environment for substantive professional exchange”. This includes encouraging and supporting our members in their professional growth through opportunities and access to funding sources to attend conferences that will assist them in increasing their knowledge and skills in building professional networks, developing career opportunities and providing leadership roles.
LTGSA Student Group
Learning Technologies Graduate Students Association (LTGSA)
The purpose of LTGSA is to support academic, intellectual and professional growth of students enrolled in the learning technologies programs at the University of Missouri and to promote a sense of community among the residential students, distance students, faculty and staff across the learning technologies programs.
LISGSA Student Group
Library and Information Science Graduate Student Association (LISGSA)
The purpose of LISGSA shall be to advance the academic, intellectual, social and professional interests of the Library and Information Science graduate students at the University of Missouri-Columbia. All graduate students enrolled in the Library Information Science program (LIS) shall automatically be members of LISGSA.
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Jenny Bossaller
President: Kayla Feifer
- Twitter: @MizzouLISGSA
Doctoral Students in the SISLT iSchool
Penny University is the academic, intellectual, and social nexus for doctoral students both online and in-person at the University of Missouri’s iSchool. As part of its mission, Penny University offers a safe place for doctoral students to discuss academic and everyday matters. Penny University’s purpose is to provide SISLT doctoral students with a platform where they can discuss a variety of topics from colloquium to camaraderie in both an online and physical environment.
SAA Student Chapter
Society of American Archivists at University of Missouri student chapter (SAAMUSC)
The Society of American Archivists at University of Missouri student chapter (SAAMUSC) builds a learning community for students interested in the archival profession. Established 2017, SAAMUSC supports the academic and professional development of graduate students interested in archives, special collections, records, and data management. Join our student chapter to interact with professional archivists, engage in professional activities in the Missouri region, and promote archival interests at University, school, and national meetings.
There are many organizations and associations that faculty and students join for mentoring opportunities, and eventually to advance into leadership positions.
Larger associations often include a variety of Special Interest Groups (SIGs), divisions and round tables, as well as state and regional chapters. Many associations offer students membership at steeply reduced rates, so take advantage of that to advance your career.
Note that the following list is not comprehensive. Explore:
- American Educational Research Association (AERA): http://www.aera.net/
- American Indian Library Association (AILA): https://ailanet.org/
- American Library Association (ALA): www.ala.org.
NOTE: ALA has many divisions (http://www.ala.org/aboutala/divs) and Round Tables (http://www.ala.org/aboutala/rts) designed to provide leadership and guidance for information professionals in any type of library or information organization. They also provide an extensive list of affiliated library organizations (http://www.ala.org/aboutala/affiliates/affiliates/current).
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE): http://www.asee.org/
- American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T): https://www.asist.org/
- Asian Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA): https://www.apalaweb.org/
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT): https://www.aect.org/
- Association of Computing Machinery (ACM): http://www.acm.org/
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE): http://www.aace.org/
- Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE): http://www.alise.org/
- Association Internationale Francophone des Bibliothécaires et Documentalistes (AIFBD): http://www.aifbd.org/
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA): https://www.bcala.org/
- Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA): https://www.cala-web.org/
- Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE): https://www.ieee.org/index.html
- International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA): https://ifla.org/
- International Society of the Learning Sciences (ISLS): https://www.isls.org/
- International Society for Technology Education (ISTE): http://www.iste.org/
- Joint Council of Librarians of Color (JCLC): https://www.jclcinc.org/
- Missouri Library Association (MLA): http://molib.org/
NOTE: All states have a library association. Find yours and join!
- REFORMA (The National Association to Promote Library & Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking): http://www.reforma.org/
- Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing (SHARP): https://www.sharpweb.org/main/
- Society of American Archivists: www2.archivists.org
- Special Libraries Association (SLA): http://www.sla.org/