This is a Graduate Certificate with a User Experience and Usability emphasis.
The User Experience and Usability (UXU) Certificate, offered by the School of Information Science & Learning Technologies, prepares students to design and evaluate technology tools and information systems. The multi-faceted human-centered lens for design and evaluation is a systematic process supported by research and best practices.
Our UXU certificate is uniquely positioned in the area of usability because our Information Experience Laboratory (IE Lab) performs extensive usability and user experience research with internal and external clients. You will prepare for jobs in an expanding field where UXU competencies are used in education, industry, healthcare, museums and other learning and performance settings.
The certificate curriculum consists of 12 graduate credit hours that may be transferred into SISLT’s M.S. or Ed.Sp. programs. The 12 graduate credit hours apply toward any of the emphasis areas: Online Education, Technology in Schools.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate Human-Centered Design concepts through prototyping
- Analyze and develop strategies to support efficient user performance with effective tools and systems.
- Design data instruments and implement data collection that embraces user centered, culturally sensitive, and inclusive characteristics
- Recommend and implement user experience and usability tools and methodologies
- Organize and manage user experience and usability related projects.
The graduate certificate requires 4 courses totaling 12 graduate credit hours, an internship coordinated with the Information Experience Lab, and a Competency Portfolio.
Required Courses (12 credit hours):
- 9474: Front End Analysis of Systems
- 9461: Interaction Design
- 9421: Usability of Systems and Services
- 9480: User Experience Internship
Credit hour limitations:
- A maximum of 3 hours of transfer credits
Please review the User Experience and Usability Internship document for details about completing the internship.
Please review the User Experience and Usability Competency Portfolio document for details about completing the portfolio.
Admission Materials and Criteria
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher (A=4.0) on the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework.
- Resume summarizing education and relevant experience.
- A statement of purpose that demonstrates your goals align with our program.
- GRE scores are not required.
- TOEFL scores (if applicable): at least 500 (paper-based) or 61 (Internet-based).
How to Apply
- Prepare electronic versions (e.g., Word files) of your resume and statement of purpose (what you hope your degree will do for you).
- Apply using our convenient online Graduate Application system. Be sure to upload your resume, and statement of purpose.
- Provide an official copy of your transcript from the college or university where you received your bachelor’s degree and your TOEFL scores if English is not your first language.
- Official transcripts should be sent to Graduate Admissions, 210 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
SISLT Student Services Office
303 Townsend Hall
Columbia, MO 65211