If you have questions about certification, please contact us:
Academic Advising and Certification
102 Hill Hall
Initial Teacher Certification
There are three primary steps needed in order to obtain initial teacher certification in Missouri.
- Pass the Content Exam (or Praxis II if taken prior to Sept. 1, 2014) for each initial certification area you are eligible for based upon your MU coursework.
- Content exam information (effective Sept. 1, 2014)
- Praxis II exam information (if taken prior to September 1, 2014)
Content Exam information: https://www.mo.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_WhatTestsDoINeedToTake. html
- Have a hard copy of your official MU transcript, with your degree posted, mailed to MU Certification Office, 102 Hill Hall, Columbia, MO, 65201. You will request your formal transcript from the MU Registrar’s Office, making sure you choose ‘Hold for Degree’ if you are a recent or soon to be degree completer. http://registrar.missouri.edu/transcripts-records/official-transcripts.php This process saves you the expense of sending another transcript on to DESE, as we forward the transcripts we receive once we are finished reviewing them.
- Create or log in to your user profile with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and create an application for certification. You should not submit this application until you have passed all Content Exams/ Praxis II required for certification.
We will forward your formal transcript to DESE once we receive it, confirm your information (degree and coursework completed with acceptable GPA, Praxis II or content exams passed), and recommend you for certification.
If you desire additional certifications, you will apply directly through DESE following receipt of your initial certification.
Initial School Administrator, School Counselor or School Psychologist Certification
There are three primary steps needed to obtain school administrator, counselor, or psychologist certification in the state of Missouri.
- Pass the exam for the certification area(s) for which you are eligible based upon your MU coursework.
- School Counselor
- School Psychologist
- Have copies of all your official transcripts (including your undergraduate degree) with your degree posted sent to the Academic Advising and Certification, 102 Hill Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
You can request MU transcripts from the Registrar’s Office. Choose Hold for Degree if you are a recent or soon to be degree completer. http://registrar.missouri.edu/transcripts-records/now-fall-07.php
- Log in to your user profile with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and create an application for certification. You should not submit this application until you have passed all content exams required for certification. http://dese.mo.gov/educator-quality/certification
We will forward your formal transcript to DESE once we receive it, confirm your information (degree and coursework completed with acceptable GPA performance and/or content exams passed), and recommend you for certification. All individuals who are applying for initial certification for the principalship must pass the content area exam and the performance assessment. The only exception is for individuals who graduated with their leadership degree prior to the Fall, 2014 semester. Completing the course work only, but not graduating, is not sufficient to be excused from the performance assessment.
Career Administrator Upgrade
If you already have certification in Missouri and are seeking a career upgrade, you should only contact our office if you are a school administrator. All other career upgrades are taken care of by your district and DESE.
If you are a school administrator seeking a career upgrade, we will need an official copy of your transcript (which includes your most recent EdS, EdD or PhD degree) to be sent to Academic Advising and Certification, 102 Hill Hall, Columbia, MO 65211.
You can request MU transcripts from the Registrar’s Office. Choose Hold for Degree if you are a recent or soon to be degree completer.http://registrar.missouri.edu/transcripts-records/now-fall-07.php
Check Certification Status
- Log into your DESE profile and choose Licensure (Educator Certification System) under the Office of Educator Quality tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Application Status tab. This will display a listing of your current applications and provide information about your certification status.
- Click on the gray bars to view the status on your fingerprints, exam scores, and application information.
- Once your certification has been issued, you will be able to print a copy from your profile.
If your status says Pending Institution Verification:
If you have submitted your transcript to the Academic Advising and Certification and passed the content exam, this status indicates that your application is currently being processed by the certification officer.
Once your application has been approved by the certification officer, your status will change to Pending DESE Verification. If you are concerned about the receipt of any of your application materials, please contact the Academic Advising and Certification at 573-882-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most states require applicants to become certified in the state where they received their education degree before they can become certified in another state. There are a couple who do not (i.e. Virginia, Washington). If a state does not require Missouri certification, the university can complete the required forms for that state upon your degree being posted. However, if you ever move from the state you are seeking initial certification from, you may have issues in your next state. You may then be required to obtain Missouri certification before you can pursue certification in your new state. At that time, you would have to meet all of the requirements of Missouri certification including finger prints, background checks, and any required exams. This could slow up certification in your next state. Therefore it is recommended to acquire Missouri certification in order to make any moves in your future easier.
When you are in the process of considering other state certification, feel free to email email@example.com to have information sent to you on any state you are considering. The certification office will be glad to assist you in the process of acquiring out-of-state certification.
*Note licensure/certification for administrators, counselors, and school psychologists vary from the requirements mentioned above.
Copies of Certificates
DESE no longer mails paper copies of teaching certificates. Once your certification has been issued by DESE you will be able to print a copy from your online profile. If you would like the state to issue you a copy of your teaching certificate, you may request a duplicate certificate at a cost of $25.
Duplicate and Returned Applications
If you submit multiple applications or the certification officer has questions concerning your certification application, you will receive an email alerting you that one or more of those applications have been returned to you.
This email will prompt you to log into the Educator Certification system. Scroll down and click on Application Status, where you will find a memo field which provides an explanation of why your application was returned. http://dese.mo.gov/educator-quality/certification