The PhD program is designed with student individuality in mind. You have unique career goals and research interests, and we’ll help you reach your goals through individualized learning plans and built-in opportunities for research and teaching. A PhD from Mizzou allows you to pursue careers in research, college or university teaching, or leadership positions in public and private institutions.
FIND YOUR NICHE
Many academic backgrounds are compatible with HDFS, a multidisciplinary approach to understanding development and relationships in context.
PARTNER WITH AWARD-WINNING FACULTY
Collaborate with faculty mentors who have expertise in lifespan development, family science, health, and multiculturalism.
BECOME A COLLEAGUE
Engage in curriculum that provides immediate, hands-on opportunities for research, teaching, engagement, and service.
BUILD YOUR GLOBAL NETWORK
Connect with faculty and peers across research labs, present at national and international conferences, and tap into our alumni network.
Skill-Building Outside the Classroom
Each student’s degree program will include individualized opportunities to grow skills beyond academic work.
- Research practica with multiple faculty mentors build expertise in methods and analysis
- Teaching practica enhance skills in the classroom through co-teaching with a faculty member
- Assistantships provide funding and critical real-world training
- Student and professional organizations provide opportunities to network and serve
- Seminars develop professional skills
- Research centers provide opportunities for engagement
Graduates of our PhD program work in fields including academia, government, research and evaluation, non-profits, and human services.
- Professor (all levels)
- Executive Director
- Senior Research Associate
- Research Director
- Extension/Community Education Specialist