This program is not currently enrolling new students.
Goals of the EdD Program
This program prepares you to:
- Understand the fields of literacy, mathematics education, social studies education and science education in terms of research, curriculum, policy, teacher development and student learning.
- Develop, carry out and report independent research in some area of elementary education.
- Become outstanding teachers/advisors of college students.
- Understand the role of service in the university setting.
These goals are achieved through a combination of course-work, internships, authentic experiences with research, development and teacher education. The majority of EdD students in elementary education move into administrative roles at the district or state level.
This degree is only offered on campus and does not lead to certification.
To receive an EdD degree in elementary education, you must complete a minimum of 72 hours of coursework beyond a bachelor’s degree. This includes at least 21 hours in elementary education core courses, 12 hours of professional education courses and 12 hours of research courses.
You must meet two sets of minimum qualifications in order to be considered for admission:
- Office of Graduate Studies requirements
- The following LTC Requirements:
- Completion of an appropriate Master’s degree with a GPA of 3.5 better.
- Evidence of at least two years of successful experience in an appropriate professional field.
- GRE scores taken within the last five years reflecting a combined score of 900 or better on the Verbal and Quantitative sections, and a GRE Analytical score of 3.5 or better.
- Correspondence with one of the doctoral faculty members in the area of study you desire.
- TOEFL scores taken within the past two years reflecting a score of 550 or better (international students only).
A committee of faculty members reviews your application’s credentials. You are not guaranteed admission even if you meet the minimum qualifications.
How to Apply
- Unofficial transcript
- Personal Data Sheet
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores (international students only)