#MizzouGivingDay Donor Profiles: Norm Gysbers and Elinor Arendt

Elinor Arendt and Norm Gysbers
Elinor Arendt and Norm Gysbers

Norm Gysbers and Elinor Arendt (MS HES ’74, BS ED ‘71) have established the Norman C. Gysbers, Ph.D. Faculty Endowment in Counseling Psychology.

Dr. Gysbers is one of our most decorated faculty members. He was at the University of Missouri for 52 years and retired in 2015 as Distinguished Curators Professor.

In 1971, he was awarded a United States Office of Education grant to work with states to develop fully comprehensive career guidance programs for schools. He pioneered the comprehensive program model, and is known today as the “father of school guidance programs.”

Dr. Gysber’s Giving Day thoughts:

“My goal is to support the outstanding teaching, research and service work of the faculty in the nationally ranked counseling psychology program. During my 52 years I was supported and encouraged by fellow faculty members and the university administration to excel in my teaching, research, and service.”

“If I could tell the Tiger family one thing, I would ask them to work to develop and grow a giving culture that begins with their first experience with the university and continues throughout the alumni years.”