Continuing and Distance Education
The MU College of Education, through Mizzou Online, aims to give learners everywhere the opportunity to enroll in courses and degree programs from a distance. The College of Education offers:
- Master of Education and Educational Specialist (MEd, EdS), Educational Technology, with a focus in:
- Technology in Schools - FAST TRACK
- Learning Systems Design and Development, which prepares educators and technologists for excellence and leadership in the design, development and implementation of advanced technology in educational and training settings
- Master of Education (MEd) with a focus in:
- Art education
- Autism education
- Business and marketing education
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Early childhood special education and autism
- Educational Leadership and/or Initial Principal Certification
- Gifted Education
- Online educator
- Reading Education
- Social Studies
A 33-hour master of education degree designed and intended for practicing teachers who have completed undergraduate teacher education programs and who desire additional skills and knowledge to enhance instructional practice. The program is a general master's degree for educators at various levels, which can be tailored to address a number of emphasis areas. Core courses and most focus area courses are available online. ELPA focus area courses and required research project are completed in a web-assisted format.
- Journalism Certification Preparation and/or Master of Education Degree with a focus in Journalism (MEd)
The Missouri School of Journalism and the College of Education have crafted a new partnership that offers students the option of journalism certification and/or a master of education. This new program provides practicing teachers with a convenient way to complete courses leading to journalism certification, or to obtain a master of education in curriculum and instruction with an emphasis in English education and a focus in journalism while working toward certification.
- Master of Education and Educational Specialist with a focus in Mental Health Practices in Schools (MEd, EdS)
The first online program of its kind nationally, this program emphasizes the prevention of mental health problems--within schools, families and communities--and the promotion of positive mental well-being for all children and adolescents. This 33-hour master's program (30 hours for EdS) is designed for educators and other professionals who work with children and adolescents in schools, and offers practical applications of psychological concepts and the latest, research-based techniques for dealing with mental health issues.
- Library Science and Library Media Specialist Certification (MEd)
- School and District Leadership (EdS)
Upon completion of this new EdS degree, students are eligible for Missouri state superintendent certification and continuing principal certification or for initial principal certification, if needed. Students can apply all of the credits they have taken for this EdS towards a PhD in educational administration through the University of Missouri-Columbia.